Since 2009, the trans and human rights organisation Transgender Europe has been conducting the international project „Transrespect versus Transphobia Worldwide“ (TvT) which researches the human rights situation of trans people worldwide in cooperation with numerous researchers, activists and partner organizations from Africa, Asia, the Americas, Europe, and Oceania. In the first week of October 2011, six representatives of TvT partner organizations from Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Oceania, and South America will gather in Berlin as part of a training and strategic planning meeting of the research project.
On a panel discussion at the Heinrich Boell Foundation on October 5th 2011, these representatives, together with the TvT team, will present some first results of this worldwide research project for the first time to a wider public audience. In addition to the presentation of aspects of the legal and social situation of trans people and manifold examples of breaches of human rights, „good practice“ examples will be presented, which indicate how the human rights situation of trans people can be improved.
• Mr. Anand Grover * (UN special rapporteur on the Right to Health, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Geneva, Switzerland)
• Dr. Tamara Adrian (Professor at the Universidad Central de Venezuela, Caracas, Venezuela)
• Witnes Booysen (Outreach corodinator of the NGO GenderDynamix / GDX, South africa)
• Naomi Fontanos (President of the NGO Society for Transsexual Women of The Philippines (STRAP), Manila, The Philippines)
• Agniva Lahiri (Executive director of the NGO People Like Us / PLUS, Kolkata, India)
• Joleen Mataele (President of the NGO “Tonga Leiti Association” / TLA, Nuku’alofa, Kingdom of Tonga)
• Kristian Randelovic (Steering committee member of Transgender Europe (TGEU) and Trans activist from Gayten LGBT, Belgrade, Serbia)
• * tbc
as well as
• Dr. Carsten Balzer/Carla LaGata (Lead researcher TvT project, Transgender Europe / TGEU Berlin, Germany)
• Dr. Jan Simon Hutta (Researcher TvT project, Transgender Europe / TGEU Berlin, Germany
* Dr. Julia Ehrt (Co-Chair of Transgender Europe / TGEU, Berlin, Germany)
In cooperation with Transgender Europe www.tgeu.org
Lisa Eichhorn, Projektbearbeiterin Referat Demokratieförderung email@example.com +49-30-28534331
10117 Berlin, Schumannstr. 8
"Transrespect versus Transphobia Worldwide" (TvT) is a comparative, ongoing qualitative-quantitative research project conducted by Transgender Europe. The project provides an overview of the human rights situation of trans persons in different parts of the world and develops useful data and advocacy tools for international institutions, human rights organizations, the trans movement and the general public. A research team from Transgender Europe is coordinating the project, which is funded by the Open Society Institute / Soros Foundations Network, the ARCUS Foundation, and partly by the Heinrich Boell Foundation. An Advisory Board, comprised of international LGBT, trans and human rights activists from Africa, Asia, Central and South America, Europe, North America, and Oceania, will help mentor the project. The project is designed to cooperate with partner organizations in Africa, Asia, Central and South America, Europe and Oceania. The TvT research project is a work in progress. The data collected will be periodically compiled and updated.